The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) issues an RFI seeking industry input from qualified contractors that can provide development and implementation support for a modern adaptable enterprise-wide data repository and data user access system/tools. All BLS data are available in one data repository that supports both internal BLS program processes as well as outside data users’ needs. The system must be flexible, user friendly, store data and manage data in compliance with CIPSEA and NIST SP 800-171 or NIST SP 800-53. The government is conducting this market research to determine if there are COTS available or if professional assistance is required to meet the objective.
The business requirements for each of these areas of interest data model and metadata, vintages and statistical measures, query, assembly and delivery, and derived data are detailed. These overarching requirements are recommended regarding the data repository:
- The data repository will have both public-facing and internal-facing components. The public-facing component will contain:
- All publicly available observations (excluding microdata)
- Statistical measures or “travel-along” data (travel-along data explained in the business requirements section).
- Vintages (vintages explained in Business requirements).
- Metadata (further explained in Business requirements section).
- The internal-facing component will contain everything included in the public-facing component, plus pre-release data.
- The data repository must be able to:
- Control access to pre-release information
- Load large data sets quickly
- Make simple calculations…”