“This position is located in the Headquarters Office of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Office of Hazard Identification and Reduction (EXHR). The Office of Hazard Identification and Reduction is responsible for managing the Commission’s Hazard Identification and Analysis Program and its Hazard Assessment and Reduction Program, and develops strategies for and implements the agency’s operating plans for these two hazard programs.”
The incumbent functions as non-supervisory senior expert advisor, subject matter expert, and Agency point of contact on Artificial Intelligence /Machine Learning (AI/ML) as used or may be adopted for use in consumer products and the impact on consumer product safety.
Major duties and responsibilities of the position include:
- Performing as agency’s principal advisor on evolving technology and policy issues pertaining to innovation and safety.
- Working with internal and external agency stakeholders in development of an agency roadmap to holistically address Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning in voluntary standards for consumer products.
- Providing recommendations to EXHR and the Office of the Executive Director (OEX) for Commission procedures and programs for addressing hazards in products which employ Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning.
- Working with EXHR staff to design and implement a testing program for consumer products that assess AI/ML technologies.
- Providing periodic updates on progress to EXHR management.
- Publish authoritative papers and reports on relevant AI/ML issues which further the strategic objectives of Agency Hazard Identification and Reduction programs.