DOS is looking to strengthen its ability to discover, track and analyze global events, rises, threats, and foreign policy developments relevant to the Department’s mission. The RFI is seeking sources to determine industry’s capabilities to provide a solution with real-time, or “as near to real-time as possible,” information discovery and awareness capabilities, and information alerts. Through access to and analysis of these sources, the information provided by the industry entity to the DOS customer will provide DOS with breaking or anticipatory information, regarding specifically identified subject matters, situations, and geographic areas around the world.
The following non-exhaustive set of use cases provide some examples regarding how DOS expects to use information tools and services to advance its capability to discover and analyze targeted mission-related information:
* DOS works closely with the Department of Defense. It uses social media to stay informed about events related to international security, security assistance, military operations, defense strategy and plans, and defense trade and relay…”
“The statements below are derived from need-finding interviews conducted with the requesting bureaus.
As the Department of State, we need to:
- Maximize the likelihood that DOS can obtain, maintain, and retain total situational awareness of global breaking events before, during, and after they unfold in (near) real time.
- Maximize our ability to quickly verify or validate the credibility of a source, author, and online information.
- Minimize the time and effort required to discover relevant and impactful information (and filter-out irrelevant information) regarding global breaking incidents.
- Maximize accuracy of machine-translated content originally…”
Responses are due by August 31, 2018.