“The Chief Technology Officer is a statutorily mandated position. The position provides full executive direction to the FAA with responsibility for examining the short-and long-term aviation technology needs relating to the air traffic control system. The incumbent develops the agency’s technological vision, implements technology strategies and ensures that the technological resources are aligned with the agency’s annual performance targets. “
- Oversees the proper operation, maintenance, and cybersecurity of technology systems relating to the air traffic control system across all FAA Lines of Business and Staff Offices.
- Coordinates the implementation, operation, maintenance, and cybersecurity of technology programs relating to the air traffic control systems with the aerospace industry and other Federal agencies
- Reviews and provides advice to the Secretary of Transportation, the FAA Administrator, the Chief Operating Officer on the Administration’s budget, cost-accounting system, and benefit-cost analyses with respect to technology programs relating to the air traffic control system.
- Consults with the FAA Administrator on the Capital Investment Plan of the Administration prior to its submission to Congress.
- Develops an annual air traffic control system technology operation and maintenance plan that is consistent with annual performance targets developed in concert with the FAA Administrator and the FAA Chief Operating Officer.
- Ensures that the air traffic control system architecture remains, to the maximum extent practicable, flexible enough to incorporate future technological advances developed and directly procured by aircraft operators.
- Prepares and transmits to the Secretary of Transportation, the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives, and the Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation of the Senate an annual report containing detailed descriptions and metrics of how successful the Agency was in meeting the annual performance targets and other information as requested.”
G2X TAKE: Those who support the Transportation Department’s Federal Aviation Administration may want to influence who applies for this SES level role that develops the Air Traffic Organization’s technological vision, implements technology strategies and ensures that the technological resources are aligned with the Agency’s annual performance targets relating to the air traffic control system.