“Barely a week into the rollout of the 2020 Census, the Census Bureau has suspended all decennial hiring and onboarding until at least April 1, as part of its contingency planning amid the coronavirus pandemic.”
“The announcement by bureau officials in a call with reporters Friday comes just a few days after the bureau hit the brakes on its in-person fieldwork for the next two weeks.”
“Tim Olson, the bureau’s associate director for field operations, said the bureau, once it resumes hiring and onboarding, expects to hire more enumerators than it previously projected.”
“’We will be over-hiring in all areas once we resume the hiring process, really to accommodate for unexpected greater attrition. We’re still analyzing and crunching the numbers to see what that should be as far as the numbers of extra people to be higher,’ Olson said.”
“The bureau previously expected it would need to hire up to 500,000 enumerators to complete the 2020 count…”
“Fontenot said he has the authority to dip into a $2 billion contingency fund for the decennial count to make ‘any changes necessary…’”
“The bureau will also push back non-response follow-up operations in most parts of the country to May 28…” Read the full article here.
Source: 2020 Census hiring suspended until at least April 1 amid coronavirus pandemic – By Jory Heckman, March 20, 2020. Federal News Network.